Miniature sculpting commission services: When you really need a wargame or boardgame miniature but you can't find it on the market, you can always commission a sculptor. I've listed the commission miniature sculpting services by area.
Physical sculpting: The sculptor creates a physical copy while sculpting it. If you already have a caster, ask them about their requirements of the original sculpt. Some sculpts need to be larger than the intended size of the miniature, some need to withstand intense heat, so get the information before the sculpt is done.
3D sculpting: The sculptor creates a virtual miniature that can be 3D printed. Before you assume the sculptor will give you a miniature ready to cast, ask them whether they'll create a file ready to print, will they send you a printed copy, and will they create a physical copy of the miniature, ready to be casted. Don't assume a 3D sculptor will do any of these, beyond creating a 3D design. It's also recommended to find 3D sculptors that have some history with creating castable miniatures, so they'll have a better idea what you expect of them.
If you see (Games Nexus) listed in the links for a sculpting service, it means you can find product reviews of their work on our website. If you see the name of a person highlighted as a link, it means you can find an article about that person and their work.
- From the Warp: How to find a good artist for commission work: Guidelines for ordering commissions.
- From the Warp: How to find a good client for commission work: Guidelines for those who take commissions.
- Spikey Bits: Cheap is Not Enough! Painting Studio Study: Review and comparison of miniatures related services.
- Drawlab Entertainment - Drawlab Entertainment (Facebook) - Drawlab Entertainment (Games Nexus) : 3D miniature sculpting
- Gregster's Lab (Facebook) : 3D miniature sculpting for vehicles and buildings. The studio of Gergely Czuppon.
- Krisztián Hartmann (Artstation) - Krisztián Hartmann (Facebook) : 3D miniature sculpting
- Mikeresin (Facebook) : 75mm scale physical miniature sculpting.
- Mostly Harmless Miniatures - Mostly Harmless Miniatures (Facebook) : Physical miniature sculpting. The studio of Lavotha Máté. Prices: For a standard 28mm sculpt he asks 100 USD, but it depends on the topic and complexity of the figure.
- RN Estudio - RN Estudio (Facebook page) - RN Estudio (Youtube channel) - RN Estudio (Games Nexus) : 3D miniature modelling
- Creative Sculpt Studio : The studio of Paul Smith.
Pimperne, Blandford Forum
- Mountain Miniatures - Mountain Miniatures (Facebook) : Physical sculpting and 3D miniature modelling. The studio of Ian Mountain.
- Menhir Games - Menhir Games (Facebook) - Menhir Games (another Facebook) - Menhir Games (Games Nexus) - price list : Studio of Ramiro Olano (Itlerion). They offer 3D miniature modelling
* * *
Do you know further miniature sculpting commission services? Would you like to add your own miniature sculpting service? Do you have experience with the listed services? Tell us in the comments!